Bonnie & Lee Malmed
young artists CompetitionanD audition Rules
Host: Skokie Valley Symphony Orchestra
Location: Northeastern Illinois University at 5500 N. St. Louis Ave, Chicago, IL
Young Artists Competition Prizes
First Place: $1,200 and solo performance with the SVSO
Second Place: $800 and solo performance with the SVSO
All Orchestral instruments, piano and classical guitar.
$50 not refundable fee forwarded to:
SVSO, 9501 Skokie Blvd., Skokie, IL 60077
Or, submit via Registration Form online.
**Your place in the competition will not be secured until we receive your application fee.
Application deadline is May 10, 2016.
Young Artists Competition Rules
1. Competition is open to amateur musicians ages 16-22 as of 1 January 2016.
2. Previous YAC 2015 Winners are not eligible to audition for YAC 2016.
3. Contestants must play one movement of a concerto. Memorization is encouraged, but not required.
4. Contestants must provide their own accompanist. Your accompanist must be disclosed on your enrollment form.
5. Competition management will assign each contestant a 15 minute audition period. Judges may request any section of the concerto movement during the audition.
6. While not anticipated, YAC finals judges may determine that none of the finalists' performances meet the criteria for the First Place Award. In that case, the SVSO Board reserves the right to not award a First Place award.
7. It is not guaranteed that Winners will perform the pieces with which they won the YAC with the SVSO. In such cases, the SVSO Programming Committee will work closely with each winner to determine the work to be performed.
8. Contestants are responsible for supplying the judges with three copies of the score of their piece. Photocopies are acceptable.
9. As a condition of enrolling in the YAC, Competitors (and for Competitors under age 18, their Parents/guardians) consent to SVSO's use of competitor's name, photographic and/or video images in SVSO's publications and digital communications.
- Preliminary rounds take place in assigned audition rooms where judges are seated behind screens.
- Judges may stop contestants if the judges have heard enough to sufficiently rate the competitor's performance.
- SVSO officers will announce which competitors are selected to compete in a final round at the conclusion of the preliminary round of auditions.
- Those competitors chosen to compete in the final round will perform on stage in the auditorium with finals judges and other audience members in attendance. Friends and family members of competitors are welcome to attend the finals competition.
- At the conclusion of all performances by finals competitors, the Finals judges will leave the auditorium to confer and reach their decisions on contest winners.